Monday, June 15, 2009

Sometimes I can be a book worm...



A good friend of mine gave me a gift card to Barnes and Noble for my birthday back in March. I love gifts like this because it encourages you to go and look for something you would never think to buy for yourself. I browsed the aisle for about an hour trying to decide what I would purchase. A new design book? A CD or movie? Honestly, the possibilities are endless at this "book" store. Then, I saw it. I don't usually read non-fiction. I am a sucker for almost anything imaginary with a good story. Instead on this day I was drawn to a very simple photography book about a photographer I greatly admired, Annie Leibovitz. I highly recommend this read for anyone who shares a passion and love for photography... and a love for Leibovitz's work. It is not a step by step technical book, or is it a coffee table book full of images. The book also doesn't dive deep into her personal life and only lightly touches on her childhood. However, what is unique about the book, and what I liked most, was the way Leibovitz explained how each shot came to being and her thoughts on this experience. This is the first non-fiction book I have read since I was in college and I highly recommend it.

In fiction, I am recommending
The Pleasure of My Company by Steve Martin. All I can say is that this book is most definitely funny... to me. I can't promise it will be funny to you. However, if you dig the sometimes dry, sometimes quirky, but always smart humor like I do, you will enjoy this book. Most likely, it is not what you will expect but in a good way. It is a quick read and it will leave you being jealous of how gosh darn talented this man is. Some people just have it... and Steve Martin... well, he's got it. It is one of the most unique books I have read in a while.

Get them on Amazon:
The Pleasure of My Company
Annie
Leibovitz at Work

No comments:

Post a Comment